Applying to NAATI
All applicants will need to attach additional files with their online application. These files may include things like photos, identity documents, academic transcripts, reference letters or other documents.
Photo and document files must meet the requirements set out below. Attachments that do not meet requirements may result in delays in processing your application.
Your photo is critical to the integrity of the application process. Photos submitted with your application must meet these requirements:
- Good quality, less than six months old
- Clear, focused image with no marks or 'red eye'
- Plain white background that contrasts with your face
- Uniform lighting (no shadows or reflections) with appropriate brightness and contrast to show natural skin tone
- Face looking directly at the camera and not tilted in any direction
- Hair off the face so that the edges of the face are visible
- Eyes open, mouth closed
- Neutral expression (not smiling, laughing or frowning)
Source: Australian Passport Office
You must attach your photo electronically with your application. You cannot post or email your photo in separately. The photo file requirements for our online application system are as follows:
- File format:jpg, jpeg or png
- File size minimum: 500KB
- File size maximum: 2MB
- Photo size minimum: 900px wide by 1200px high
- Photo size maximum: 2250px wide by 3000px high
- Aspect ratio (width to height):4:3
- Photo layout position: portrait
NAATI will hold your photo for a period of 6 years from your original application date. If you need to make another application to NAATI after that time, you will be asked to supply a new photo.
Most NAATI application forms will ask you to attach an original scan of your passport or Australian driver's licence. This scanned identity document does not need to be certified.
If you don't have either of those, you will need to attach another form of government-issued photo ID. These include a:
Any other files that you attach to your online application (eg. reference letters, academic transcripts, or completion certificates etc.) must be the electronic original or a scan of the original physical document. These files must also meet the following requirements:
- Acceptable file formats:doc, docx or pdf
- File size minimum (per file): 10KB
- File size maximum (per file):2MB
- Preferred file format: .pdf
Unless specified during the application process, you will not be asked to make an upfront payment to NAATI with your application. NAATI will email you separately when it is time to make payment.
We prefer people to make an online credit card payment for our products and services.
If you cannot pay by credit card, the other types of payment method we accept include:
- Debit card (payable at any NAATI Office)
- Cash (payable at any NAATI Office)
- Bank Cheque (purchased at a bank and payable at any NAATI Office)
NAATI is aware that some governments or other organisations will cover the cost of obtaining a NAATI credential by sponsoring an individual. There are two different scenarios:
- A sponsored application where an individual applies to NAATI but a third-party pays for their test.
- A sponsored application where there is a pre-approved special agreement (e.g. a scholarship from the Victorian Government).
If your application is being sponsored, you will need to provide the following details as part of your application:
- Organisation Name
- Contact Person Name
- Contact Person Email
- Evidence of sponsorship (you can attach a Purchase Order or other document approving this sponsorship)